Monday, January 25, 2010

Cardio or Strength First?

I've been working very hard with my newest group for my 6 week Accelerated Fat Loss Challenge. This group seems to be extremely motivated and I cannot wait to see the final results. Unfortunately we have only made it through the first week so I have to be patient. With most people I struggle to get them to workout most days of the week. Surprisingly, I have had a few individuals in this group as about multiple workouts in one day. I was blown away by this but thrilled to see the ambition.

One of the biggest questions with multiple workouts is whether to strength training first or do cardio first. I came across this article that gives great insight. In 2009 a study in the European Journal of Applied Physiology found that fat metabolism and energy expenditure during aerobic training was increased when it was preceded by high intensity resistance training. If this isn't a reason to do strength training first I do not know what is.

I have always felt that those who focus there weight loss effort on resistance training see better results than lose who focus on cardio. For this reason I would start my day with the most important training and then move onto secondary training.

If you don't have enough time to do multiple workouts in one day you are not at a lose. Performing strength and aerobic exercise on alternating days is still a very effective fat burning method.

Mike
www.sandiegopremiertraining.com
www.myworkoutcreator.com

No comments: