Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My Top 3 Breakfasts


Next to lunch and dinner, breakfast is one of my favorite meals. Seriously though, I love eating which might surprise some people. It actually runs in my family I think. In fact, at my brothers wedding last year during my best man speech I mentioned how the easiest way to get my father, brother, or myself to agree with you, just feed us. I think the video of that speech is on Youtube somewhere if you really want to see it.

Anyway, breakfast is extremely important. Just look at the word itself, Break Fast. We are breaking a long fast after a night of sleeping. Let's say you eat dinner at 7pm then wake up at 7am. That is 12hrs of no food or energy. If you aren't filling your tank up you will be running on fumes for the rest of the day. Our metabolisms are still kicking while we sleep. We are just sleeping, we are not dead. We are using energy the entire time. Over 12hrs you use up most of your energy stores so they need to be replaced immediately.

Some people believe though, if they workout in a fasted state they will burn more fat. There may be some scientific evidence that they will burn more fat while fasting but I have one problem with that. How intensely can you workout on an empty stomach? I have tried it before. I could barely finish the workout, I used lighter weights, and I skipped harder exercises and sets because I just didn't have the energy. On the other hand when I just have a small snack I have enough energy to get through the workout and push it hard. While there might have been a higher fat oxidation percentage on the empty stomach I guarantee I burned more overall calories when I ate something. There is more scientific evidence that exercising more intensely will burn more calories.

I know many people struggle to get breakfast in. Even if you aren't hungry I highly recommend getting something in before you start your day. Here are my top three breakfast choices. I really eat these every week.

1. Veggie Omelet:


I personally use egg substitute but it fine to use whole eggs as well. In my omelet I will have peppers, mushrooms, spinach, turkey, and low fat cheese. (careful with the cheese).

2. Smoothie:


I love smoothies on days I get up at 4:30am and the last thing I want to do is cook something. Check out my older post on how to build the perfect smoothie. Currently I make my smoothie with frozen mango, protein powder, 1/2 banana, ice, almond milk, and cinnamon.

3. Greek Yogurt:


This is just one of my favorite things. I am really hooked on greek yogurt and for good reason. In one serving of non fat greek yogurt there is 24g of protein and only 8g of sugar. I usually add some blueberries and granola to mine, but it is great plain too.

There you go. Three super easy breakfast choices for you. Believe I am super lazy when it comes to cooking and need things to be very basic. These take just a few minutes to prepare and then you are ready to start your day.

You Stay Healthy San Diego!

Mike Deibler MS, CSCS
San Diego Premier Training
My Workout Creator

No comments: