Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Showdown: Treadmill Vs. Elliptical

Hi there. I hope you are having a great week. I have been super busy lately. 2 weeks ago I was celebrating my 1st Anniversary in Las Vegas. I know what happens in Vegas is suppose to stay in Vegas but check out this pic of the desert that was sent out for us for dinner one night.



Not that it makes it much better but this wasn't all just for us. As some of you know my parents, wife's parents, and us all share the same anniversary day. It's weird but true.

After Vegas we had a wedding to go to and needless to say, I have some extra calories that I need to burn off.

As you probably have heard me say, I do not like doing traditional cardio for burning fat. I find other modes of exercise to be much more excited to me. None the less, I understand that not everyone hates cardio. If you perform cardio are you performing exercises that burn the most calories?

A few weeks ago I posted an article discussing what burns more calories, running or cycling. If you missed it you can click on the link below to read more:


http://premiertraining.blogspot.com/2010/05/does-running-burn-more-fat.html


I came across another study that looked at the treadmill vs. the elliptical and which would burn more calories at the same exertion level. They found that, when intensity levels are the same there is no significant difference in energy expenditure between the treadmill and the elliptical. They did find however that there was a higher heart rate recorded on the elliptical. The researchers were not sure why this was but it could be attributed to the upper body motion combines with the lower body work on the machine.

So what does this mean for your workout? Well it shows that both treadmills and elliptical seem to both be effective ways to burn calories. If you have a preference for one over the other then you should stick to the one that you prefer. If you experience knee pain you might want to stick with the elliptical. Also, if you need to keep your heart rate monitored and below a certain number you might want to stick with the treadmill.

Enjoy the rest of your week and get your cardio done in some form.

You stay healthy San Diego,

Mike Deibler MS, CSCS
San Diego Personal Trainer
My Workout Creator

No comments: