Tuesday, June 8, 2010

My NY Trip And How Fat Can Be Good

So this past weekend many of you know that I was in NY for a 3-on-3 basketball tournament. This was a fundraiser for the Lynn I. Morris Memorial Scholarship. One of my best friends from high school and college tragically lost his sister, Lynn Morris, in the 9/11 terrorist acts. The Lynn I. Morris Memorial Scholarship was created by the Morris family to award a deserving student each year that represents the amazing qualities that Lynn Morris had. Each year there is a fundraiser to help raise money for this great cause. This was the first year I was able to make it back to NY to participate and I am incredibly grateful that I was able to make it. Lynn was an amazing person and her memory will live on forever through this great scholarship program. If you would like to help contribute you can send a check to:

Lynne I. Morris Memorial Scholarship Fund
16 McGarrah Road
Monroe, NY 10950

Tax ID: 16-1527073.

The tournament was a huge success and it was great to see old friends and get to play basketball again. I will have to be honest though, I have not played in a while and I was hurting pretty much from the start. It is amazing how hard playing 10 minutes of basketball can be. Here are a few pics from the tourney:







While I was home I also got to spend some time with my parents which is always great. I even got to give my mom a workout. In return she had me try coconut milk. I have had cow milk, soy milk, almond milk, and rice milk, but never coconut milk. I have to say that I really did enjoy it. It is not very high in protein like cow milk but it is a great source of medium chained fatty acids. Fatty acids are typically broken down into long chained and medium changed. Most of the foods in a typical American Diet are composed of long chained. Coconut oil is a great source of MCT as well as palm kernel oil. Below are a few benefits of incorporating more medium chained fatty acids into your diet.

1. They have an accelerated metabolic conversion.
MTC's are more rapidly absorbed by the body and quickly metabolized as fuel. They are less likely to be stored as fat compared to long chained fatty acids.

2. They can help increase athlete performance.
Athletes will consume MCT's who are seeking an increase in energy levels. MTC's are used as a great source of energy for those that may be on a low carbohydrate and high protein diet. MCT's are metabolized very similar to carbohydrates and can be used as fuel.

3. MCT's may suppress appetite.
If you are having trouble controlling your appetite you may benefit from increasing your MCT consumption. A study showed that calorie consumption is lower in diets higher in MCT's compared to diets lower in MCT's.

While just by increasing your Medium Chain Fatty Acids doesn't mean you will magically drop weight, it may be a great way to assist you. Make sure the foundation of your program is still exercising most days of the week and eating a balanced diet. If you aren't currently consuming MCT's you might want to try adding them in with a glass of coconut milk.

You Stay Healthy San Diego,

Mike Deibler MS, CSCS
San Diego Personal Trainer
My Workout Creator

No comments: